Sunday, February 6, 2011

project pretty #1 - succulent

One lonely 1950s pink anodised picnic cup... One sunny Sunday afternoon... One little itch to get my fingers dirty... Plus two I prepared earlier...


Lidless, lost and forlorn vintage enamel and aluminium pots and containers are great for planting up with succulents that strike easily from cuttings and can be kept outside or in with minimal maintenance. I use a big chunky nail and hammer to make a hole in the bottom of the pots before filling them with a few pebbles and a specific succulent potting mix. This succulent cutting was nipped from the bush a couple of weeks ago and already has roots. It's best not to water them too much... wait until they feel dry before you give them a drink...

2 comments:

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

Oh Ryn these are FABULOUS & PERFECT for the SVJ-X me thinks....You could even take some to the Market....!!

Cheers,
Tamarah :o)

Gina E. said...

I love planting small things in old teapots (those that have cracks in - not usable pots!) - I think they look great.